Employment Opportunities at Four County Players
Available Position: SHOP & BUILD SUPERVISOR
Four County Players seeks a highly motivated and efficient individual to help elevate operational efficiency, thereby enhancing the experience of our patrons and production teams. The Shop and Build Supervisor is a part-time, salaried position, reporting directly to the Board President and responsible for the oversight and integrity of the theater’s workshop and construction operations, day-to-day and in conjunction with the annual production schedule. Scheduled Saturday workdays during productions are required (approx. 5-7 per production), with a flexible work schedule the remainder of the week. Four County Players was founded in 1973 and is Central Virginia’s longest continually operating community theater. Our mission is to encourage participation in the arts in the Central Virginia community by providing performers, designers, students, volunteers, and audiences opportunities to engage in high-quality theatrical productions and educational offerings. Four County Players is a non-profit organization, and facilitating the incredible work of our volunteers is the key to driving that mission forward.
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Maintain shop cleanliness and readiness at all times
● Inventory, monitor and, as needed, order stock of shop and/or construction supplies
● Proficiency in the proper usage of general workshop tools, to include required safety standards
● Patiently and effectively train volunteers of all skill levels on proper handling of shop tools and machinery
● Organize set workdays with show specific production designer & crew chief
● Coordinate with Production Manager to ensure proper stock-on-hand for individual shows/workdays
● Recruit for workday volunteers (send emails and monitor responses), as needed
● Oversee Saturday workdays, generally 9am-3pm, to supervise volunteers and integrity of the shop. Typical work for those days will consist of set builds, light hangs, etc.
● Attend Tech Week rehearsals, as needed
● Attend production meetings
● In coordination with the Production Manager, complete (or coordinate) the “final details” of each show prior to tech week.
● Create strike plan in coordination with Production Manager
● Attend show specific set strike
● Other assignments as requested by the President and/or Board of Directors
● Abide by and enforce the Four County Players Code of Conduct
● Knowledge and experience with maintaining a safe working environment, to include the usage of power tools and equipment
● Project management proficiency, to include the ability to delegate tasks across a broad spectrum of constituent capabilities
● Equal ability to work independently and as a member of a team in order to effectively manage and meet/beat necessary timelines
● Effective and timely interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills to coordinate effectively, comfortably, and respectfully with fellow staff members, the Four County Board, volunteers, vendors, and the public
● Proficiency in, or ability to quickly learn, appropriate reporting mechanisms (Four County Players primarily operates in a Google G-Suite environment)
● Problem solver with the initiative to identify and address needs as they arise
● Flexibility and willingness to take on new responsibilities, as needed
● Part-time, salaried
● Annual compensation = $11,700
● Estimated 15 hours per week
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Four County Players is committed to building a diverse community of staff and volunteers who are supported by an environment that promotes inclusion and belonging. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
All interested parties should email firstname.lastname@example.org with their resume, list of at least three references, and their statement of interest. The targeted start date will be no later than Monday, May 1, 2023. Position is open until filled.
This position can also be found on the following platforms: