Stage managers are, by definition, multi taskers. Our beloved SM for Once on This Island, Miranda Hogan, is no exception. This overachiever not only pulled off a flawless opening night, but she managed to document her backstage experience. Ever wonder what it means to be a stage manager? Enjoy our guest blogger’s detailed, illustrated account.
1. 5:05pm- Initial caffeine acquisition.
2. 5:35pm- Arrive at theater.
3. 5:39pm- Unlock office.
4. 5:41pm- Place secret buddy opening night gift
5. 5:42pm- Turn on fans to cool backstage porch. Ignore likely futility of this
6. 5:43pm- Turn on breakers for cellar dressing room.
7. 5:44pm- Watch Carl unlock cellar dressing room.
8. 5:46pm- Caffeinate.
9. 5:48pm- Struggle to open new headset.
10. 5:52pm- Give up and plug in hot glue gun in order to fix a broken prop.
11. 5:56pm- Success!
12. 5:57pm- Caffeinate.
13. 5:58pm- Put on headset and achieve maximum stage manager style and cool.
14. 5:59pm- Receive opening night gift and feel heart warm with joy. Thanks
15. 6:01pm- Dinner!
16. 6:13pm- Caffeinate.
17. 6:16pm- Dessert!
18. 6:19pm- Caffeinate.
20. 6:26pm- Finish caffeine and feel heart sink.
21. 6:27pm- Receive flower and feel heart warm more. Thanks Jane!
22. 6:31pm- Walk to grid and ensure cloud lanterns have not caught fire.
23. 6:34pm- Check actor sign-in sheet. Mentally curse the latecomers.
24. 6:38pm- Hydrate.
25. 6:48pm- Receive opening night gift and feel heart warm yet again.
26. 6:49pm- Set up boom box for dance warm ups. Feel grateful to not be required to participate in dance warm ups.
27. 7:03pm- Listen to inspiring words of wisdom from 4CP Board President,
28. 7:09pm- Maximum heart warming achieved. Thanks Geri!
29. 7:11pm- Notification received. Thanks Facebook!
30. 7:31pm- The calm before the storm.
31. 7:35pm- Caffeinate again! With Christmas Coke!
32. 7:39pm- Pre-show set-up.
33. 7:48pm- Blue-light selfie!
34. 7:52pm- Send blue-light selfie via Snapchat to friends.
35. 8:00pm- Top of Show!!
36. 8:12pm- Call cues.
37. 8:22pm- Open (and close) shutter doors.
38. 8:26pm- Call more cues. Open and close more shutter doors.
39. 8:53pm- Intermission.
40. 8:56pm- Finish caffeine.
41. 9:02pm- Five minutes to places.
42. 9:11pm- Act two!
43. 9:31pm- And then there’s pages like this…
44. 9:45pm- So proud!!
45. 10:16pm- Cake!
46. 10:21pm- CAKE!!
47. 11:30pm- Good night.